Thursday, April 9, 2015

Dewey & Minnie - Members in Good Standing of the 50-Year Club

50-year anniversary plate from Dewey and Minnie's celebration
One of my favorite things, a cake plate from  Grandpa and Grandma's 50th wedding anniversary. Married in Friesland, Wis., March 17, 1917 - a bond that lasted through their lifetime together and begun nearly a century ago.

Simple things like a gilded cake plate take on an importance when they sponsor memories of people you love.

When I think of Grandma Minnie and Grandpa Dewey Braaksma together, I remember laughter. No doubt there were times when there wasn't laughter, but I wasn't a part of those moments. It's a theory of mine that unless there is laughter in your heart, no one sees or shares your happiness. Laughter is a barometer of the heart. So, all is well with me when I am in the midst of laughter.

However, Minnie carried laughter a bit further. There was a slight skip to her step and a tilt in her shoulders when she burst into laughter. It sprung from her soul.

Not every marriage hits the 50-year mark, but theirs did and our family is the richer for it.

This plate was gifted a second time when my aunts Ann and Jane gave it to me after Minnie's death. They presented me with the plate and a set of salt and pepper shakers saying simply they thought I might like to have them in remembrance of Grandpa and Grandma. Oh, yes. Thank you.

This morning I read a quote from the works of A.A. Milne, author of the beloved Winnie the Pooh. His words remind me of how my grandparents made me feel when I was a child.

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

~ A. A. Milne
Grandma and Grandpa Braaksma celebrate their golden wedding anniversary.
A family treasure, hand-painted porcelain salt and pepper shakers from Minnie and Dewey's 50th wedding anniversary

No comments:

Post a Comment